Gwen Lux (1908-1987) was born in Chicago, and at age 14 began studying art with Mary Chase Perry Stratton at Pewabic Pottery. She later attended both the Maryland Institute College of Art and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
Lux most often worked in clay, and cast her work in many materials including concrete, plastic resins and metals. She taught sculpture at the Arts & Crafts Society of Detroit and also received numerous commissions during her lifetime. She created sculpture for Radio City Music Hall in New York City, the McGraw-Hill Building in Chicago, and the General Motors Technical Center in Detroit. The Detroit Institute of Arts, the Hawaii State Art Museum, the Kresge Art Museum (Michigan State University, East Lansing) and the Mariners’ Museum (Newport News, Virginia) are among the public collections holding her work. In 1933 she received a Guggenheim Fellowship. Lux lived and worked in Detroit, Michigan in the early part of her career, and then moved to Honolulu, Hawaii in 1973. She continued to live in Hawaii until her death.
Her first marriage was to fellow sculptor Eugene Lux, and in 1959 she married Thomas Creighton, longtime editor of Progressive Architecture magazine. In 1986 Lux remarried, to her longtime friend and companion Jerome R. Wallace, a well-known artist who created batiks using natural dyes found in the local environment on Kauai.
Pictured is He is the Night (Kamehameha), at the Hawaii Sate Art Museum in Honoulu.